CAREERS IN ANCIENT ROME
The people of Ancient Rome had many different jobs or careers. Each of the following were careers options to the people of Rome:
- Merchant: Merchant ships commonly sailed the waters surrounding the Roman Empire in search of other lands with goods to trade for.
- Craftsman: Rome was known for its fine goods, which were made by its many craftsmen. These craftsmen made goods, such as: clothing, dishes, mosaics, metal goods, weapons, decorative items, etc.
- Farmer: Most people in the Roman Empire were farmers. Popular crops were olives, grapes for wine, honey, and cereal crops. Livestock such as beef and pork were common as well. Wealthy people owned the farms while the poor worked the land to harvest the crops and raise the livestock.
- Soldier: Soldiers were very important in the overall Roman Empire. As the empire spread throughout the surrounding territories, the soldiers were needed to conquer and control the territory.
- Entertainers: Entertainers were important within Rome as Roman citizens enjoyed attending the theater and “games” in the amphitheatres, such as the Colosseum. These people were actors, musicians, chariot racers and gladiators.
- Government: There were many different types of government positions, but in general, the high ranking positions in society were controlled by the wealthy. For example, members of the noble families were only represented in the Senate.